Monday, March 8, 2010

...Why I Cup...



.Why I cup. (one a.m. modified version..)

Fucking ay.
Why..?

I became truly interested in the making of vessels while studying Art History. I was thinking about delving into the field of iconography (an iconographer).
Which...You know..I could still study how certain symbols have evolved through the years. A great deal of advancements in media, communication, and an individuals confrontation/involvement with imagery has altered certain icons. (side note.i began college as an english and philosophy major(s)...)

Anyhoo..I realized while studying the classic Flemish.Dutch still life paintings..that..I could make the items which carry.hold.and.continually sustain meaning.

The process of creating these vessels..Overly.Whelming.

Wedging.Throwing.Chemistry.Kiln Gods.and.my own Mortality.

Then..to learn the history of ceramic art. Also. Overwhelming.

long hours.dry hands.perseverance.

I am proud to be a part of the pottery tradition.

(some recent.work)

No comments: